Thursday, October 10, 2013

Making custom domains work without the www at the start

This Quick-Tip is about an issue that some people have had with their "naked" custom domain not re-directing to the www-at-the-start version, and how to fix it using a feature in your Google Apps account.

Since Blogger released their initial fix towards the custom-domain mapping problem of mid-September 2012, a lot of people have found that it's unattainable to setup the custom domain so that my-domain.xxx works in addition to www.my-domain.xxx does.

It has an choice for this in Blogger's Settings > Publishing area. But last night, after i set up a "subdomain" style entry for news.my-domain.xxx and directed my latest-updates blog from my-domain.blogspot.com to news.my-domain.com, learned that this didn't work.
(Obviously I didn't use my-domain.com - nevertheless the principle applies.)

However today I ran across a technique that does appear to fix this:

1 Log in to the Google Apps domain administration account (the identical one you used to put together the second CNAME record - in the event you don't know how to get into it, a few of the information here may help)

2 Visit Domain Settings > Domains, a

3 Sroll as a result of where it says: Redirect the naked domain (http://YOUR-DOMAIN.INFO) to ... (whatever it says now)

4 Click on the Change Redirect link under this.

5 Ensure that www (lower case) is entered from the field.

6 Click save.

I can not be certain that this can always repair. Nonetheless it did for me right now, and I've seen a couple of other posters saying that it helped them also. So I guess it's time worth sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment